Frequently Asked Questions in Family Law San Diego, CA
- Why Do I Need a Family Law Attorney?
- When Do I Need A Family Law Attorney?
- How is Child Support Calculated?
- What are the Advantages of Retaining a Family Law Attorney?
- How Much Does it Cost to Retain a Family Law Attorney?
- How Will I be Involved in My Case?
Why Do I Need a Family Law Attorney?
Family Law San Diego, CA is an extremely complicated field of law. Its results could have a dramatic effect on you and your family. Having a family law attorney on your side will help you understand your rights during and after a divorce. An attorney will take the time to explain terminology and take the time to explore options for a fair settlement.
When Do I Need a Family Law San Diego Attorney?
Under most circumstances, it is better to have an experienced, aggressive and trustworthy family law attorney working hard for you right away. There are a variety of options available to you which should be explored immediately, not all of which will be available upon delay. It is preferable to enter divorce negotiations armed with information rather than try to understand your position after negotiations have started. When emotions are high, it is better to state your case correctly on the onset rather than try to change things after conditions have been agreed upon. Having a family law San Diego attorney at the onset can help pave the way to a faster agreement.
How is Child Support Calculated?
In California, child support is calculated according to the “guideline” amount, which is determined by a very complicated algebraic formula. Courts are required to follow this guideline formula, and only under very limited circumstances may the court deviate from the guideline. Although the guideline formula considers many factors, the most important components are each parent’s income and the amount of visitation with each parent. Call one of our family law San Diego attorneys to get more details.
- Property settlements and litigation can be very complicated. A family law San Diego attorney can help you protect your community and separate property interests. For example, if you were given an inheritance from a deceased relative, this money should not be mixed with family assets and expenses. If you do, the inheritance becomes community property (belongs to both husband and wife). This type of advice can help you retain what is rightfully yours.
- Child custody, visitation and support disputes can likewise be very complicated. An attorney will counsel and represent you in these most important of issues. For example, the amount of money you receive for child support is, for the most part, dictated by the algebraic formula described above. However, the amount of monies paid for child support can be changed based on custody percentage. In other words, how much money you get or have to pay depends on how much time you spend with the child or children. It is important to have a clear parenting plan before you start calculating child support.
- An experienced attorney will ease your stress by taking on the challenges and developing a strategy for the handling of your case. For most people, divorce can be devastating: it affects your finances, your relationship with your children, and possibly the way your friends and family perceive you as a parent. A family law attorney can help you deal with the unpleasant consequences of a divorce so that you don’t have to do it alone .
How Much Does it Cost to Retain a Family Law Attorney?
Our attorney’s fees and costs are affordable and reasonable, considering our experience in the area of Family Law. In many cases, the other party may be required to pay a portion of your attorney’s fees. You will realize that the benefit of hiring our firm far outweighs the cost. We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express for your convenience.
How Will I be Involved in My Case?
Our office will creatively explore many different options to help settle your case or succeed in litigation. We will take you step by step through each process, ensuring that you are apprised of your options. Our experience in this area of family law is the vehicle to your success, but you will remain the driver.